DIY CHINESE LANTERNS
Light up your Chinese New Year with traditional Chinese lanterns! While these lively lanterns can come in all shapes and colours throughout the year, Chinese New Year is celebrated with the red and gold balloon lanterns. Hang these traditional lanterns inside and out of your home.
Here's how you can make your own:
- Red & Gold Construction Paper
- Craft Glue
- Red Ribbon (optional)
- Use the ruler to draw lines across 1 red piece of construction paper, 2cm apart.
- Cut along the lines you drew, leaving about 2cm-3cm of space at the top.
- Tape the bottom section together, re-connecting the cut ends.
- Roll a piece of gold construction paper into a tube and secure with glue. (Tip: A few pieces of tape along the inside seam can help keep it all together.
Line up one end of the red paper with one end of the gold tube and wrap entirely around, securing with staples.
The red paper should now be wrapped around the gold tube. Gently push the loose end of the red paper up along the body of the tube to allow the red pieces to balloon outward. Leave several inches of the gold paper showing at the top.
- Secure in place using glue or tape.
Cover both red strips with a piece of gold construction paper and secure with glue.
- Cut vertically into the bottom of the gold tube to create a fringe effect.
Attach a short piece of ribbon to the inside edges of the top of the tube for hanging